Welcome! This website is dedicated to providing free spiritual music along with Bible lessons to help women in their walk with Christ. All material and songs are free to share and distribute to others.
Why do we need to memorize scripture?
“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge…” Proverbs 1:7.
Yet, to understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God requires several things (Proverbs 2:1-12):
The benefits include:
Notice that before any of these things can be obtained, one must read His Word and memorize scripture.
The Bible clearly teaches the importance of memorizing scripture.
Memorizing scripture helps us avoid sin. Psalm 119:11, “Thy word have I hid in mine heart that I might not sin against thee.”
Memorizing scripture helps us know the path God wants us to take. Psalm 37:31, “The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.”
Memorizing scripture also promises longer life and peace on this earth. Proverbs 3:1-2, “My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: For length of days, and long life, and peace shall they add to thee.”
Memorizing scripture is the foundation to trust in God. If you continue to read through the other verses found in Proverbs 3, you will find that memorizing scripture is the foundation to trust and not leaning to your own understanding, verses 3-8.
Many people can quote verses 5 & 6, but do they memorize scripture as the prescribe remedy for assuring that we trust and follow His leading and not our own?
Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”
Proverbs 22:17-19 reiterates the importance of memorizing scripture so we may trust Him, “Bow down thine ear, and hear the words of the wise and apply thine heart unto my knowledge. For it is a pleasant thing if thou keep them within thee; they shall withal be fitted in thy lips. That thy trust may be in the LORD, I have made known to thee this day, even to thee.”
Memorizing scripture is the armor God has designed for us in the day of battle. Proverbs 30:5, “Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.” Ephesians 6:13-20 gives in detail the armor we are to put on every day. Also note that Psalms 40:8-17 which talks about being delivered from our enemies begins with memorized scripture, verse 8, “I delight to do thy will, O my God; yea, thy law is within my heart.”
Memorizing scripture encourages our heart and induces correct prayer during difficult times. Psalm 42:8, “Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the day time, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.”
Memorizing scripture pleases the Lord. Proverbs 23:15-16, “My son, if thine heart be wise, my heart shall rejoice, even mine. Yea, my reins shall rejoice, when thy lips speak right things.”
The “right things” being spoken are God’s Words which have been memorized and then applied.
What are the devil’s reasons for hindering you from memorizing scripture?
1) So he can cause you to fall into one of his sinful traps.
2) So you will not trust in God and become fearful. When a person is in an emotional state of fear, they do not always think or act rationally. Fear is a powerful weapon to get any Christian to stop in their tracks and no longer be effective for Christ.
3) So you will not be wearing your shield and his fiery darts can hit their target.
4) So you will not get wisdom and knowledge from God and simply lean upon your own flawed understanding.
5) So you will be blinded to the path God wants you to take in your life and simply ‘run around in circles’.
6) So he can deceive you into thinking that some sins are not really sin; your judgment of right and wrong will be tainted.
7) So you will die at an early age and he will no longer have to spend time trying to keep you unproductive as a Christian.
111 Petunia Court, Nicholasville, KY 40324 I email: firstname.lastname@example.org